Karen Breitnauer is a senior compliance attorney and director of employee benefits compliance at M3 Insurance. She is responsible for providing compliance information and guidance to clients through education and consultation. In her role she serves as the senior legal staff resource for public and private sector entities on specific compliance topics. Those topics include health care reform, COBRA, HIPAA, FMLA, ERISA and more.
During the past decade, she has focused on the compliance efforts of M3 clients through group speaking engagements, creation proprietary educational materials, and individual client compliance reviews. During the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), she served as M3’s lead resource and an industry expert.
- Earned Bachelor of Arts degree in history and political science from Concordia College
- Earned Juris Doctor (J.D.) from the University of Wisconsin Law School
- Gained relevant industry experience in legal roles with American Family Insurance and Dean Health Plan
- Joined M3 in 2010
- Advanced to director of employee benefits compliance, 2020
- Licensed to practice law in Wisconsin
- State Bar of Wisconsin member
- Wisconsin-licensed property and casualty agent
- CIAB Legal Counsel Working Group, employee benefits subgroup chair
- St. James Lutheran Church, Human Resources Committee head