COVID-19 Considerations for Food and Agribusiness
The Director of Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency (CISA) in guidance to the industry on the essential critical infrastructure workforce wrote:
“If you work in a critical infrastructure industry, as defined by the Department of Homeland Security, such as healthcare services and pharmaceutical and food supply, you have a special responsibility to maintain your normal work schedule.”
Federal, state and local governments, as well as trade associations, are providing guidance to the industry to help maintain this critical supply chain. Below is a summary of various resources for food and agricultural businesses and suppliers to the industry:
Resources to Reference:
- General Agricultural Resources
- Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection has created a toolkit for farmers and agricultural businesses
- S. Department of Agriculture
- Food & Drug Administration is providing guidance on food safety
- Wisconsin Cheese Makers Association
- Workforce and Labor
- US Department of Labor’s Employment and Training Administration, Office of Foreign Labor Certification is responding to frequently asked questions regarding temporary laborers and H-2A, H-2B, or CW-1 visas
- Grocery Stores
- Multi-lingual resources
Food & Agribusiness Considerations:
- Update your standard operating procedure for addressing workers who are affected by the pandemic. The Diary Food Safety Alliance has released a template for use.
- Ensure all workers are up to date on food safety policies, current research on COVID-19 symptoms, and notification requirements.
Food and agricultural organizations fall under the umbrella of “essential businesses” as defined by the Department of Homeland Security, and have a responsibility to maintain a normal work schedule. Employers in this industry would be well-served by reviewing their workplace policies and procedures and visiting the resources above for information specific to your sector. If you have specific questions about your organization’s needs, contact your M3 account team.